7 Mistakes That Affiliate Marketers Make
When I first started in affiliate marketing, all I desired was to just earn money. Off I ran in every instruction, trying everything, with no genuine concept of the errors I was making that could effectively impact my opportunities at long term success. Through my years of experience with affiliate marketing, I have actually pertained to the conclusion that there are 7 mistakes that affiliate marketers make.
Let’s discuss these errors in more information:
- Selling Rather Than Helping. Yes, the word “marketing” is part of the phrase affiliate marketing, but for the most part, our task as an affiliate is not to sell– that is the task of the sales page our affiliate links lead the reader to. When I first started, my frustrating (and totally naive) impulse was to fill my pages with words and links that shouted “BUY THIS NOW!”.
- Too Many. When starting out– signing up with any and every affiliate program I came throughout, this is another huge error I made. While I absolutely do believe in cultivating several streams of earnings when working online, there is a point where you have too much to deal with and it ends up being unmanageable. Pick your affiliate programs wisely and don’t overload yourself.
- Not Testing. Whenever I choose to promote a Clickbank deal (for instance), I put myself in the shoes of a prospective customer and opt-in to check the vendors’ follow up series. I discovered this the hard way. Nothing breaks a reader’s trust more than being led to a promotion that will blow up their inbox. Put yourself in the shoes of a possible client and see what will take place if they follow your recommendations.
- Not Tracking. When I initially began out, this was a BIG mistake I made. I began my affiliate marketing profession utilizing free-to-make web pages on a site called Squidoo (and I still do this to this day). I love promoting Amazon products on these pages but would forget to utilize unique tracking affiliate links on each page. Why is this a mistake? Extremely simple– when you make a sale, you would like to know WHERE the sale originated from. This enables you to understand which pages are transforming well so you can scale that project and grow. Creating a special tracking ID for an Amazon link is simple.
- Not Comparing. Among the very best converting tactics I use to sell affiliate products online (especially physical items from Amazon) is to compare the “primary” product with 2 other comparable products. When individuals are in buying mode for a physical product, they tend to have their options limited to 2 or 3 and require help making the option that is finest for them. By comparing the “3 Best Widgets For …”, I not only help my readers make a choice, but I also have my affiliate links there for THREE products instead of on only one.
- Generate Income Online Products. Maybe you’ve seen this before. You’re in a “discover online marketing” type online forum. A person publishes a post grumbling that they can’t make a penny online. However, in their signature line, they have something along the lines of “I Made 1 Million Dollars with This” followed by their affiliate link. It occurs all the time. Please, do not be that individual. If you’re brand-new and you want to promote items in the Make Money Online arena, don’t make false claims that it made you money.
- Oh, Look! A Butterfly. This is the most significant downfall for any new affiliate online marketer. It can trigger really huge problems for skilled affiliate marketers as well.
It is all too typical to be dealing with something when all of a sudden, something “glossy” comes through your inbox or is mentioned in a forum you regular. Then off you go chasing some originality to earn money online.
Ignore the “butterflies” that make sure to fly by on a continuous basis. They will just distract you from your project/campaign at hand. One completed and the lucrative project is worth a lot more than 50 almost half-finished campaigns or jobs.
Affiliate marketing is an organization that requires self-motivation and focus. For many of us, these are learned skills. When you understand the mistakes that can cause an absence of earnings and performance, you will be much better able to grow your company and pay long-term.